Monday, February 18, 2013

What influences you?

Think honestly about the last few jokes you heard or TV shows you watched; were they something you would let your small children listen to or watch?  It is up to us to set examples for our children and to model godly behavior.


Card:  "I will not tolerate evil influences in myself or my home but will embrace a life of purity."
Scripture reference:  "I will be careful to live a blameless life...I will lead a life of integrity in my own home."  Psalm 101:2 (NLT)

Tonight I again wanted to know more about the background verses, so I turned to my Bible and, once again, found highlighted with notes in the margin.  My notes pointed to this verse and read "the outward expression of a faithful person."  It's true.  What we model in our lives says so much more about our character than what we say.  Actions do speak louder than words, and lately I'm not so proud of my actions.  I could have handled so many situations so differently, yet I didn't.  I did not model faithful behavior.  I let the world influence my behavior.  Wrong move on my part!

I will admit, I do watch some shows that are sort of like watching a train wreck, it's so bad you just can't look away (Dance Moms, Big Rich Atlanta...Ax Men - though that is not by choice, it's by who has control of the remote).  These people get into fights, yell, scream, cuss, and call each other horrible names and mainstream media calls it entertainment!  Dance Moms does have some redeeming qualities when the girls are actually shown dancing.  These kids have so much talent!  It's too bad the attention is focused more on how the moms can't get along with the psycho dance teacher on a power trip.

Watch just about any television show and you see so many things that go against Biblical principles.  This, folks, is what is influencing the future generations!  They think it's okay to slap someone and yank out her extensions just because she called you fat.  It's NOT okay!   Let's bring back The Walton's or Andy Griffith, or Little House on the Prairie!  Shows that put family first.  Shows where problems are solved reasonably rather than violently.

It's hard.  I know.  It's a daily struggle not to laugh at an off color remark or joke.  It's a daily struggle to pattern our lives based on godly principles.  Even the psalmist didn't have it all together.  Kind David was messed up!  He went through times when he was not a godly example, but God never gave up on him, just like He will never give up on us.  We can be redeemed, but we have to want it.  We have to try.  Yes, we may stumble and fall, but with help from God, we can persevere.

On a final note, this has been a really tough day for me and tomorrow doesn't look too promising, either.  I covet your prayers.


No comments: