Monday, February 11, 2013

Uniquely You - Resolutions, day 2


The scripture to go along with today's card is from Jeremiah and is one of my favorites:  "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb.  Before you were born I set you apart."  Jeremiah 1:5 (NLT)

Wow!  I don't claim to be a Bible scholar, far from it, but I believe when you allow God to speak to you He will share His infinite wisdom and reveal treasure after treasure.   It's comforting to know that God had a plan for us from the beginning of time.  No one is on this earth by accident!  Though there are some who may try to convince us of that, they are wrong.  (don't argue)  God DOES NOT make mistakes.  He has never made a mistake, and He has placed each and every person here for a reason.   You have a purpose, what are you going to do about it?  Are you going to use your talents or lose your talents?

So many times we allow ourselves to be held back by fear.  I know I have.  I'm often afraid to put myself out there because I don't want to fail.  Many times I feel like there are people just waiting and watching for me to mess up....and I often don't disappoint them, but I can't let the opinions of others hold be back from a blessing.  (I'm preaching to myself here)

Now, let's talk about talents.  Aren't you glad we don't all have the same talent?  This world would be a boring place if we all did the same thing.  There would be no uniqueness.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly what my talents are (at 46 I'm a slow learner), and to put those talents to good use.  I don't know if you could call it a talent, but I love to sing.  The Bible does, after all, tell us to "make a joyful noise unto the Lord" it does not say "...and in the right key at all times"  (whew, I'm so glad!)  Music isn't the only talent, though.  There are those who teach, and preach, and encourage (like the card lady at our church).  There are people who are wonderful organizers (like my mother, but that gene never developed in me, darn it!), and writers, and bus drivers, and people who are fantastic with children!  We have people in our church who can cook (and that's a handy skill to have in a Baptist church.....the Baptists will know what I mean) who feed Awana kids every Wednesday night.  There are great builders, carpenters, and wood workers, and electricians, and masons...  The list goes on and on.  Just because your talent (skill or ability) isn't one of those seen by everyone in the congregation doesn't mean that you aren't an important asset to the Kingdom of heaven.  Every single person contributes in his or her own way to make the church grow.  Without you something would be missing.  YOU ARE IMPORTANT TO GOD! (yes, you!)  Embrace your gifts!

Now it's time to get real.  Look at the last part of the devotion card "and celebrate the distinctions He has placed in others."  Honestly, there are times when that's a little hard to do.  There are times when I'm envious of another person's gifts.  I find myself wishing I could sing like her, or speak like him, (or organize like my mamma) and I start trying to find ways to tear that person down. (yeah, she can sing, but those shoes are tacky!)  Don't say you haven't done it, too.  We all have, it's our sin nature.  If I catch myself doing this I have to quickly ask God to change my heart, because the problem isn't with someone else, it's me.  I am learning to use my gifts (or will when I find them) and delight in the gifts of others.  We can be a blessing to one another just as God intended us to be. (just my 2 cents)

One last thought...  Over the last year or two I have had the opportunity to sing with 3 amazing ladies.  Pam, Kathy, and Kelly have become good friends and we have formed a little quartet  "4 His Praise" (Kathy's mom came up with that....I just decorated it).  It is when I sing with those girls that I feel such a renewing of my spirit because I know they have such hearts for the Lord and we all have a common goal, to give Him the glory and the praise, and maybe touch a heart that really needs Him.  You never know how God will reach a person, so use your talents.

There is a quote I have hanging in my classroom: "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be quiet if the only birds who sang were those who sang best." Eleanor Roosevelt.  

I would be thrilled if you have made it all the way to the end of this post and would share your talents, ideas, or encouragement.   We are all working toward a common goal, spreading the gospel, so let's share some joy for the journey.

Oh yeah, if you want us to sing for you just let me know. :)  (shameless plug for our quartet, just in case you didn't get that.)

No comments: