Friday, April 29, 2011

I have conquered the beast....

….and the beast is mine!


The Beast!

Never fear, the beast in question is one of the hubby’s new toys…a shiny John Deere zero turn lawnmower. Just 2 short weeks ago I vowed never to get back on the Beast and attempt to cut grass. This declaration came only after I had made myself dizzy by spinning in circles, and then mowed down a baby sawtooth oak tree I’d planted last year. The Beast scared me!  
Then came the rains, and what does 9+ inches of rain do to one’s yard…..makes it grow like crazy! I was beginning to think we should bale it….it is Bermuda grass….for the most part. I don’t like it when the yard looks shaggy, and the hubs was working some long hours, so I thought I would do him a favor and mow. I think he was a little nervous when I called him and asked how to start it. I really think he was afraid he would come home to a scalped yard, but he walked me through the steps to waking the Beast. …and away we went.
Wow, this baby will fly. After 15 minutes I had the hang of using handles rather than a steering wheel and was able to more effectively maneuver this grass chomping machine in the desired direction. Miracles never cease, and the rest, as they say, is history. The Beast was mine!
Granted I didn’t get to the back yard (I’m saving that for Hubs since it is nothing more than a rockpile with a few spriggy tendrils of grass, and it’s on a slope…he likes a challenge), but the front and one side looks great!
Yes, a job that was once no less than 4 hours has now been knocked back to 1 ½…thanks to the beast.




The view from the front porch to the county road.



The view from the county road to the house....one side of the yard.


1 comment:

Meet Lindsay said...

Sharmin I love your house and the whole area! I hope we get to have our next house somewhere like yours! Good job with the beast...we were just talking about that too!