Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Lightning Thief

....and this time I'm not talking about the book...or the movie...which is really good so you should rent that, but this time I'm talking about the REAL thing.


I'm rambling...it's the storms.

This is the 2nd night of major storms....tornado warnings....in our area. We've had some crazy lightning the last couple of nights. Last night I decided to try to take some pictures of the lightning, which didn't turn out too great, but tonight was a different story.

I'm not crazy about storms, but I'll do just about anything for a good photo. There I was, sitting on the front porch, in a METAL patio chair, holding and ALUMINUM monopod with a camera. I think the front porch may have been wet, too, but I had determination.

I did learn you have to hit the button when you first see the flash, not when you see the streaks, so after about 25 shots with not-so-spectacular light shows, I hit the jackpot! I finally got the elusive lightning shot!

I think I danced....until it thundered really loud right above me and I decided one great shot was enough.

So here it is!



Lightning in the sky, Fulton County, Arkansas, April 26, 2011

What do you think?  Just in case you would like to help me try to get this in a book or calendar you can go here - Capture Arkansas - and vote for me.  (shamelessly asking for votes...please share with your friends and tell them I'm shamelessly asking for votes, and would love theirs, too.)

No comments: