Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 2 -Drawing, Design, BBQ, and Beale

Day 2 of the MCA academy was drawing and design.  We worked in the studio with one of the MCA drawing instructors, then he turned us loose.  It was so much fun. 


Getting some directions and critique from a prof.

Mrs. Rosalie.  She was so much fun, she's from New Orleans and teaches in an all girls Catholic School.  She kept us rolling with laughter all week!


My space.  It's still a work in progress, but we were working with textures.
  We broke for lunch at a graphic design firm, Combustion.  The owner is an MCA grad, and several employees are also MCA grads.  They do all the graphic design work for MCA, and International Paper.  You would think it would be a stuffy, corporate place, but that is far from the truth.  I could so work here!



Leah's office.  I had to wipe the drool from my chin when I saw her big, giant Mac!  Her office is very fun, too!


Yes, that is a set of drums and some electric guitars in the design firm.  It's the way they get over a creative slump.....I think I need some drums...


An awesome inspiration board.  I will be having one of these in my classroom and inviting students to contribute.


Ah, ha, so that's where the name "Combustion" came from.  I wonder if they would care if I borrowed their slogan?
 After lunch, we spent the rest of the afternoon in the drawing studio.  I didn't quite get finished with mine, but it was a fun, abstract project, so it wasn't that big a deal.  For supper, we were heading downtown to the Rendezvous for some Memphis Barbeque.  We had some good food followed by a walk on Beale St.  There were a few brave souls who stayed late on Beale, but this girl came back to the dorm by 11 and crashed!


Our group in front of the dorm before heading to Beale.  Of course there is always one comedian in the group, and the only guy was ours. 


Yummmm, ribs! (and brisket, and chicken, and pulled pork...and....)


One very historic Memphis BBQ joint.  Worth the trip to the little hole-in-the-wall, side alley entrance.


Walking in Memphis....walking with my feet 10 feet off of Beale.  Historic Beale Street at night.


I really wanted to ride one of these cute little 3 wheeled police Seqey's, but I was afraid they would just throw me in jail if I tried, so I resisted the urge.


No comments: