Sunday, April 25, 2010

Accountability

This morning Bro. John preached on breaking addictions. One of the many addictions he mentioned was the addiction to food. I started thinking (amazing, huh?) about my little project again and why I can’t seem to take the weight off as quickly as I want to. I think one of the big issues is somewhat of a food addiction. I don’t deliberately gorge myself to the point of pain or oblivion, but I do just nibble here and there without even realizing I’m doing it! You know that old “that tasted so good I think I’ll have another bite” kind of thing. He made several points about overcoming addiction, the first one being ACCOUNTABILITY. Hmmm, the light bulb just came on. That’s what I’ve been missing. I haven’t been accountable to anyone but myself, and it’s obviously not working. One of this morning’s scripture references was John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the fullest.” God doesn’t want us to fail, He wants us to succeed and have a good life. Another verse from the sermon was 2 Corinthians 10: 3-4 “For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.” Did you read that? DIVINE power, power to DEMOLISH strongholds! If we are walking in the will of God, and I believe He wants us to be healthy, we can’t lose! The inability to stick with a healthy eating plan is weakness, and possibly a lack of faith. I’m shooting myself in the foot with the weight thing by saying, “I don’t know why I even bother”. Now, don’t think that I want to be a size 2, because that won’t ever happen. I don’t think I was a size 2 when I was 2! I barely remember wearing a size in the single digits (I do remember 6x for some reason?), and that is not my goal. My goal is a 12. I’m 5’9” and that is a reasonable, HEALTHY, size for someone as tall as me. If you are 5’9” and are a size 2, I don’t mean to hurt your feelings, but you need some help…and some cheesecake.

So it is with renewed commitment that I, once again, move toward my goal of the red dress. Not only do I want to wear the dress comfortably, but I want to wear it comfortably without Spanx. (some of you ladies know what I’m talking about). This time it’s going to be different, though, because I have God in my corner and I’m going to let Him handle what satan throws my way. No more self doubt. (Chris will be happy to hear this since last night was a major night of self doubt. He tries to be encouraging, but he just doesn’t quite get it. Which brings me to my next point; I need an accountability partner, any takers? Prayer warriors on my behalf would also be greatly appreciated.

Oh, one more thing. As promised, pictures of our little landscaping projects from yesterday.


And one really great surprise I got this morning.  Our youth pastor and his wife gave those of us helping with VBS music these really cute t-shirts.  I LOVE t-shirts, especially lime green ones, and I just love Jeff & Missy & their family, too.


Just when I thought I'd said all I had to say, I thought of one more thing.  I've told you about him before, David, the man who comes to church on the church van from an assisted living facility.  He is probably in his 40's, and has Down's Syndrome.  He sits on the front pew, and is a wonderful reminder of God's love for us all.  He raises his hands in praise and sings at the top of his lungs. Even though he is hard to understand, you can tell by the look on his face that he knows God hears and understands. It is such a blessing and always leaves me with tears in my eyes.  This morning he was just overcome with joy.  People were on their feet with hands outstretched (I can see this from the choir)...well, most people, Bro. John wasn't on his feet.  He was sitting on the front pew with his eyes closed, smiling, enjoying the worship.  David noticed.  The next moment, David slipped across the aisle, took Bro. John's elbow, and motioned for him to stand.  It was precious!  David wanted to make sure everyone was on their feet to worship God, even the preacher.  After John stood, David raised his hands and began to sing again, a song that only God knew the meaning, and I'm sure it brought Him great joy. 

No comments: