Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 3

I guess I can call this a good day.  One positive about having a sinus infection is the lack of appetite, maybe that was God's way of giving me a jumpstart.  My food choices have been very good today, too, and I don't feel deprived.  Frozen red seedless grapes are a great snack, so is a Jell-O pudding cup.

I've been thinking about the whole issue of weight, why do some people become so attached to food, and some avoid it?  One of my best friends is a recovering anorexic and we've had so many good converations.  She saw food as something she didn't deserve, she was somehow punshing herself for something; it was a control issue.  It began with some feeling of inferiority, someone told her she wasn't very smart, but at least she was thin. (which is stupid because she is smart), and it became an addiction, and addiction to be thin.  Food was never a comfort to her, and large, extended family meals were not a pleasant experience. 

As I was thinking about that, I realized that all the pleasant times in my life somehow seemed to center around food.  Our large, extended family gatherings are always filled with food and fun.  It was a time to relax and enjoy, and there was always some new dish or dessert that needed to be sampled. Growing up in a family of wonderful cooks didn't help things, either.  Maybe food was my medication, it made me happy...it was a crutch.  I eat when I'm sad, I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm bored... it's a bad habit that I'm struggling to break.  Got any ideas?   That's the big issue I have to start working on, to eat when I'm hungry, and that's it! 

Now I just need to start working on the lack of exercize!

1 comment:

jeanie oliver said...

Hey there,
I'm going to add you to my blog roll so I don't have to ask every day where to find you!
losing weight-I have no answers-I was told with my POTS Syndrome that I had to be at zero body fat or die! Point blank-I can never survive diabetes, or a heart surgery, etc. So. Take it one hour at a time-Jake lost his weight going to weight watchers. I joined on line, and then I went to my dr. and said, I need help-they gave me a 1200 calorie diet plan.
Don't think past noon today on eating. You are in a tough situation cause you have a house full of eaters. I'll be glad to be support for you-facebook me anytime or call 404-8288 and I'll talk to you until you are orange from the carrots you are crunching in my ear!
all my best
Jeanie